Lion Plus Tiger Equals to Liger - Africa Point Blog
On safari since 1998!
Home  >  Blog  >  Lion Plus Tiger Equals to Liger

Lion Plus Tiger Equals to Liger

28th July 2007
0%  0%  29

Wildlife, Lion

Ever heard of the Liger? Its a monstrous cat that is a cross breed between a male Lion and a female Tiger. The liger resembles a lion with diffused stripes. Ligers are the largest cats in the world although the Siberian Tiger is the largest pure sub-species.

liger

Ligers enjoy swimming like tigers. Though its larger than a lion or tiger and is obviously much stronger, I think its size would be its worst enemy out in the wild. Lions when chasing their prey tire out easily so I'm trying to imagine this huge cat chasing its prey..it will never make it...Compare the two sizes below ..Tiger on the left and Liger on the right

liger-tiger-compare

Below is a short documentary video of the Liger..

Did you enjoy this post?

Like & Share this blog post:

Get Africa Travel Updates

Sign-up to our newsletter and get a weekly round-up from our blog and detailed information on the best things to do and see in Africa.
First Name *

South Africa
   Tanzania
   Uganda
   Zambia
   Zanzibar
   Zimbabwe

Comments

2nd November 2009
N.N.RAJESH

0%     0%

Generally a tige and a lion combination is called a tigon, what is the difference betweena tigon and a liger?. Kindly throw some light on this.

13th September 2009
Leon

0%     0%

Its truly a beautiful animal. BUt i think its too bulky and might not be as swift as its mom or dad or any other big cat. Ligers might find it hard to survive in the wild. Nevertheless, its a magnificient animal. I admire its size and can just imagine its strength.

29th May 2009
Ligers

0%     0%

I think ligers are really cool and that this website is pro. Also i thank u because no one belived me when i said ligers were real but when i showed them this website they instantly beleived me so thanks!!!

30th April 2009
Papa Smurf

0%     0%

Actually all of this is possible, and there is no artificial insemination going on here, the only problem with the ligar is that it is sterile no matter what, it kinda is natures way of saying it shouldn't happen but it did so this is how i deal with this. And yes it is also possible to breed a horse and a zebra, but again the offspring would be sterile just like the ligar. Think about this, we all know what a DONKEY is right, well a donkey is the same concept its a horse and a mule interbred, a Donkey is sterile, yet we utilize and create them all the time, thus making a Ligar isn't such a bad thing, its fun...

23rd February 2009
sharai

0%     0%

wow i hav neva heard of a liger b4 they look so cute they guna b ma fav animal nw nd i hav learnt alot thanks im jus wonderin wats da difference between a liger nd a tigon is it dat a tigon has a male tiger as a father nd a liger has a male lion father?

thanks for all your help

sharai

p.s they r so cute i want 1 s bad

8th January 2009
Emily

I have a question
Is it true that Ligers die young and can have very painful lives? I've heard of this and I'm just not sure if its true or not.
Thanks
Emily

24th December 2008
jessica

0%     0%

great site ligerrs rock i am doing animals from a to z and L was liger like a heart beat

17th December 2008
Hannah

0%     0%

LIGERS ARE AMAZING, ESPECIALLY THE ONE ON THE TOP OF THE PAGE!!!!

23rd November 2008
ivan

0%     0%

this is a great website i can belive it.
Its so dam good thanks a lot man your the best

9th November 2008
jess

0%     0%

asome info dudes keep up the good work

28th October 2008
Darien

0%     0%

Wow, the liger is friggen massive compared to a tiger

18th October 2008
amanda

0%     0%

if you goto http://www.tigerfriends.com/ you can see pictures of the first liger. You can also go there and see him up close. Its amazing he huges and his eyes are so beautiful. I got to actually to take a picture with him and got to take home a video with my whole expereince there. they have much more too baby tigers crawling aroung your laps and monkeys and so much more!! you should definitely check it out, its an experience of a lifetime!

10th July 2008
Kapil

Hello QAD

CHeckout this link to see a LIGER COUPLE - Both FEMALE and MALE Ligers !

Amazingly a GREAT Phtograph with 1300 pxls width that really gives exact idea of the large animal

Kapil
mail@kapil.bhutkar.com

13th June 2008
QAD

0%     0%

Incredible. Have seen the Liger and was amazed the first time, and every time I see him. A question, Has a female Liger been produced yet and are they able to mate...male liger and female liger. I would Love to raise one from birth....

Thank you for letting the world of today know they exist!

QAD

17th May 2008
some1

0%     0%

just 2 say again i would love to be u 2 go and see that lion i am 2 scared doe lol x

17th May 2008
some1

0%     0%

that is a great lion cool i have never seen anything like it

23rd February 2008
sam

wow,that is sooooooooooooooooo grool (great + cool) LOL

14th February 2008
Renan

HAHAHHA
It's impossible to raise ligers or even put a male and a female ligers on the wild. It's an animal artificially created by man. If you put a female ligar with a male ligar, the female won't get preagnant. The same happens if you put a female horse with a zebra: the descendent is sterile. Well, I have 17 and I'm from Brazil, which, by the way, you think it's a big jungle. It would be very difficult to explain all this biological procces in a few lines, but I learn this at high school.

11th February 2008
Allie

0%     0%

My step mom told me they were real and i didn't believe her... guess I was wrong.

24th January 2008
bob

0%     0%

i agree its horrible just because its genetically possible doesnt mean u have to breed them i mean the cat woudnt last a day in the wild how can it belong to the natural world as a big cat if it couldnt catch a cold in the north pole

21st January 2008
Skyler

0%     0%

what would happen if it was a guy tiger and a girl lion?

22nd January 2008
africapoint

Hello Skyler,

If you interbreed a male tiger and female lion you get a TIGON :-)

5th January 2008
webkinzannesagirl

0%     0%

ligers are my FAVORITE animales!!

24th November 2007
Cera

0%     0%

OMG! These Ligers are amazing!!! I always thought a Liger was fake but now you proved they are real. Luckily when i grow up i always had my dream of becoming a veterinarian so maybe just maybe I can work with one! That is going to be my long term dream. Of course to do that I will need to open an animal sanctuary so i will do that. These cats are the most beautiful and gorgeous cats in all of man kind. I want to see one in real life. Thanks for putting this magnificent animal online. The world I bet is wanting to thank you. I know I am! I will make sure I let all my friends and family know about this website and that Ligers are real animals not fake. Evreybody thinks thier fake but really they are.... magnificent. I am coming to this website more often. I think everyone should!

5th November 2007
Michelle Brooks

0%     0%

I want one of them now seeing on of them up close i want to want to work in the zoo and maybe i can get my own land and raze them.......... They are tooooo cute.

6th November 2007
africapoint

0%     0%

Michelle-> how are you going to feed them..based on their monstrous sizes it seems to need to feed them a lot

28th September 2007
Deborah Gordey

0%     0%

My husband didn't believe there was such thing as a liger or that it was the largest cat in the world. I had seen your liger before on television. This website helped me show him what I had already seen. These cats are the most beautiful thing I've ever seen and wish I could see one in person. Thank you for putting such a magnificent animal online so the world can see them.

28th July 2007